March 7, 2009

Spring Forward

When I was 6 months old my parents, both New Yorkers born and raised, moved from Long Island to Florida and never looked back. Growing up, winter to me was 65 degrees. I didn't even see real snow until I was 18 when, after my first afternoon of sledding ever, I promptly came down with bronchitis. Now I live in Southern California and a while most of the country envies our balmy weather, I still freeze my butt off every time the temperatures dip below 70. It must be genetic. Suffice it to say, I am ready to welcome spring with open arms so in honor of the time change, I made Fennel and Tangerine Salad.

Fennel and Tangerine Salad
adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine
2 tbsp cup olive oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 small shallot, chopped
1 tsp tangerine zest
1 tbsp fresh tangerine juice
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced and fronds chopped
2 tangerines, peeled and segmented
1 small head of leafy green lettuce

Whisk first 5 ingredients together in a small bowl. Toss tangerine segments with chopped fennel. Scatter tangerine and fennel over lettuce and drizzled dressing over the salad. Sprinkle with chopped fronds.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I freeze my butt off in So Cal winters too!

The salad looks delicious and healthy.