March 4, 2009

Pita Party

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past year, you may have noticed we (collectively) are in a bit of a financial pickle. Record unemployment, businesses going under left and right, words ending in "ession" being carelessly tossed about, what are we to do? Hang our heads, cry in our coffee, have a big ole Pity Party? Screw that, how about a Pita Party!

With 3 months of unemployment threatening to drive me to drink (ok, drink more), I've been keeping my hands busy and my grocery bills down by cooking and baking as much as possible. Why spend my hard earned unemployment check on Trader Joe's pita and hummus when I already have everything I need to make my own?

The pita recipe comes courtesy of my new best friend, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day. You can use a number of their basic doughs to make pitas- I chose Light Wheat. Just pull off sections of dough, roll them out into thin rounds, toss them on your preheated baking stone and watch them puff up! So simple and easy to make, and they keep really well. Seriously, this book has changed my life. Hmm, wonder if they pay for testimonials?

Lemony Hummus
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
Juice from 2 large lemons
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp tahini
2tsp olive oil
1tsp cumin
1/4tsp kosher salt

Combine everything in a food processor and process until smooth




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! A pita party! Homemade pitas are the best and your's look great. I hope things turnaround for you.