March 10, 2009

Looks Aren't Everything

What's that old addage, "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all." I can't very well leave this post blank but I'm struggling to come up with positive comments about this week's Tuesdays With Dorie, Lemon Cup Custard. On the plus side, it's pretty, easy to make, and has a lovely velvety texture. However, I found it severely lacking in the flavor department. I made the original lemon recipe, steeped the milk with extra lemon zest for over an hour but the end result was rather bland. Fresh raspberries and powdered sugar helped a bit but when it came time for dessert I opted for gingersnaps instead.
Hopefully my fellow TWD'ers had fared better than I- check out the blogroll and see.

7 comments:

doughmesstic said...

Gorgeous photo for such an - ummm- okay dessert. Nice job!

Teanna DiMicco said...

Sorry you weren't a fan! I hope next week is better for you!

chocolatechic said...

It looks beautiful, especially with those raspberries on top.

Flourchild said...

Aww your fine..the joy of baking is discovering what we love and what we hate!

TeaLady said...

But your pic looks great. I actually liked it even tho' the lemon flavor was very subtle. But I just like custad.

Anonymous said...

Your custard looks gorgeous. Too bad you didn't like it.

Jacque said...

I can see where it would be bland if made according to the recipe. I was surprised to find that even after I added more lemon, in various forms, that it still was only lightly lemon flavored.

Anyway, kudos for being nice :)