March 27, 2009

Layers Are In

Growing up, special occasions meant one thing, lasagna. And if that occasion was your birthday, Carvel Ice Cream Cake. How I miss those crunchies! But I digress. I've made lasagna many times since then but never from scratch- ricotta, prego & boxed noodles, poof... lasagna. Well this month's Daring Bakers Challenge was a bit more complicated. Bechamel I could handle, homemade ragu, ok sure, but spinach noodles from scratch without a pasta maker? Mamma mia!

Not only was this lasagna absolutely delicious, but not as difficult as I thought. I made the pasta two days in advance, drying it out overnight on my clothes rack, and I made both sauces the day before. All that prep made baking day a breeze.

I will absolutely make this again, and look forward to experimenting with different types of pasta dough and sauces. Head on over to the the Daring Kitchen and learn how to make your next occasional really special. And don't forget Fudgy The Whale.

Now a word from our sponsor:

The March 2009 challenge is hosted by Mary of Beans and Caviar, Melinda of Melbourne Larder and Enza of Io Da Grande. They have chosen Lasagne of Emilia-Romagna from The Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper as the challenge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your lasagne looks wonderful. I love the picture of the pasta drying.

Engineer Baker said...

You're much smarter than me, spreading things out over a couple days. I thought the boyfriend would kill me when I said dinner wouldn't be ready until 8:30! Yours looks fantastic.

Beth said...

Looks good! I have this image in my head of a clothes drying rack filled with pasta sheets, and it's kind of cracking me up.

TeaLady said...

The pasta was easy and delicious wasn't it. I made the pasta the day before, but the other on the day. Wish I had done all before. Yours looks really good.