June 3, 2008

"Boogedy Boogedy Boogedy..."

Loving baseball came easily to me. I made an exception for football because watching the post season at our favorite sports bar has the added perk of $5 bloody mary pitchers. However, when my husband come home and told me we would now be Nascar fans, I thought it was time to draw the line. I mean Nascar? Loud, boring, make fun of your in-laws Nascar? Well after spending a week watching footage for a show he was editing, he was hooked and insisted I watch the Daytona 500 with him. Two years later race day has become an institution in our house, Jimmie Johnson is "our driver," and a new cookbook, Mario Tailgates Nascar Style, has been added to my arsenal. My favorite recipe is for Jambalaya Turkey Burgers, although we renamed them Boogedy Burgers to give it that extra Nascar-y vibe (insert Darrell Waltrip's signature phrase, "Boogedy, boogedy, boogedy...lets go racin' boys!") Now don't worry yankees, eating these burgers won't turn you into a (gasp!) race fan- but they are likely to rev your engine!

Jambalaya Turkey Burgers
Mario Tailgates Nascar Style
1lb ground turkey
2 spicy turkey or chicken sausages removed from casing
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small onion finely chopped
4oz jar roasted red pepper finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp chili powder

Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Form patties (makes 4), cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Prior to grilling spray lightly with bbq safe cooking spray. Grill 6-7 minutes on each side. Assemble burgers to your liking

1 comments:

pmeredith73 said...

I'm going to try this receipe out. Sounds yummy. About Nascar.... Lonnie and I went to Taladega for our introduction a into Nascar a few years ago w/some good friends w/VIP ticks.... needless to say being there was AWESOME!!!!! Jimmie is my driver too!