June 6, 2008

Time To Eat The Donuts


Happy Doughnut Day! According to an email from my mom, and then later confirmed by extensive research, today is in fact National Doughnut Day. What started as a fundraiser for the Chicago Salvation Army back in 1938, has since been celebrated the first friday of June each year. So consider it your civic duty, and a mark of patriotism to visit your local doughnut shop today and partake in the fried pastry of your choice! To learn more visit National Doughnut Day- Wikipedia.

In other breakfast pastry happenings, I woke up this morning to a lack of any and all bread products with which to make my fabulous prosciutto and egg sandwiches. I did however spy one lonely overripe banana so I decided to put it out of its misery and whip up some honey banana muffins.


Of course my honey had mysteriously dried up, and I was out of brown sugar (my second choice) so I had to use white sugar. They were still pretty tasty but next time I'll suss out my honey situation first and I will probably add another banana and maybe some walnuts to the mix.

Honey Banana Muffins Minus The Honey
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
pinch of ginger (optional)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup milk (any % of your choice)
2 eggs
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 overripe banana, mashed

Preheat oven to 375F. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl combine butter, milk, eggs and vanilla. Gently fold into dry ingredients and banana and combine well. Spoon into a greased or lined muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

1 comments:

rickicf said...

Good research! I guess a Boston cream in in my immediate future!