June 13, 2008

Choux, Choux or The Sound of a Paris Train


Cream puffs and I, we go way back. Making 50 of them for my cousins bridal shower back in 2003 was wayyy outside my comfort zone when it came to baking. I was a box/mix only girl back and I was relieved/amazed at how well they turned out. This weeks challenge brought back pleasant memories for me and although I was apprehensive about creating the ring, I forged ahead.
The dough came together just as described and after a successful pilgrimage in search of a 3/4 inch tip, I was able to pipe out my ring as well as a tray full of puffs and eclairs. I removed the ring after a little under 30 minutes and it was a lovely golden brown. I love mint and chocolate together but when I caught sight of these two in my pantry I couldn't resist.

After adding the creme fraiche, I folded tablespoons of frangelico into the whipped cream which gave it a subtle hazelnut flavor.

Then I made the glaze by adding 6 tablespoons of boiling water to a 1/4 cup each of nutella and powdered sugar. Finally I studded the ring with some beautiful raspberries that were given to me, ironically, by the aforementioned cousin (thanks Brooke!)


12 comments:

Kayte said...

Wow, yours turned out very nicely...love the raspberries you added, those really look great with it all. That's a lot of little puffs you made back then...you haven't lost the touch, I see. Last photo is beautiful also. Great job.
~Kayte

Susie Homemaker said...

yum - these all look so good! keep up the great baking!

Engineer Baker said...

Mmm... raspberries and Frangelico... Great ideas!

Di said...

The raspberries look like a great addition. Nice job!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Ohhhh, this looks delicious. I can't believe you can keep Nutella in your house. I'd eat it for breakfast with a spoon. ;)

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Megan said...

Oh my gosh you are killing me! What a smashing idea - and it looks so perfect!

Annemarie said...

I love the idea of using Nutella...I'll have to try that!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Great flavor combination and it looks divine!

ostwestwind said...

The picture is beautiful, your flavouring sounds divine.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Jaime said...

beautiful cream puff ring!

i love nutella...even better w/frangelico!

Jules Someone said...

Looks fabulous! Nice flavor combination.

Dolores said...

Nutella and frangelico... I *like* the way you think! :)