June 22, 2008

Northern Exposure


I have a little crush...on Vancouver. After 10 years of living on the west coast I finally made it up to beautiful British Columbia and was fortunate to spend 4 glorious days there. The food, the mountains, the food, the ocean, Stanley Park, and did I mention the food? The culinary options are endless, each neighborhood offering the best in local cuisine, as well as the tastes influenced from around the globe.Here are some of the highlights:
1) Bishops in Kitsilano- slow food at its finest, this intimate space offers seasonal local fare. I had Qualicum Bay Scallops with morel mushroom and egg scramble, creamed potato, fava tip and baby fennel salad, morel and leek vinaigrettes- and it was divine!


2) My first oyster at The Fish House in Stanley Park, while sitting on the patio enjoying Vancouver's first warm day of the year and sipping a Bloody Caesar. I even got a lesson in how to make pepper infused vodka (I plan to test it first before blogging about it).


3) Granville Island Public Market- so many choices!


4) Delicious french cookies from a boulangerie in Yaletown- I will have to recreate these for a future post!


5) Papa Beards cream puffs. I highly recommend the eclair. We ate it before I could take a photo.

Of course there are lots of other reasons to visit Vancouver and we did enjoy some of its non-gastronomic delights. Don't miss Stanley Park, the Capilano Suspension Bridge or Grouse Mountain (beware, when the say the Grind is grueling they are sooo not kidding). But you've gotta eat right? There truly aren't enough hours in the day, or an appetite big enough to take advantage of all that Vancouver has to offer.

0 comments: