March 30, 2010

Coconut Tea Cake, Take 2

Some bakers have issues with pie dough, yeast, or pastry cream but my kitchen achilles heel has always been cake. After years of therapy, err I mean practice, my track record has improved but some days my mojo is still off. My first attempt at this week's TWD, Coconut Tea Cake...epic fail. Looked ok coming out of the oven but 20 minutes later devolved into a sunken, gummy mess. If I weren't such a coconut fan I might have thrown in the towel but today I gave it another go.
It did deflate a bit initially but held up well over all and smelled fantastic. I made half the recipe in a loaf pan (a kitchen full of stuff but still no bundt pan) and added lime zest, coriander and Malibu rum. I had plans for lime curd to spread on top but I just booked set work for the next 3 days so that will have to wait.
If you want to try your hand at this cake, go visit Carmen. And for even more coconut fun, check out the blogroll.

4 comments:

Flourchild said...

Ahh sory about the first bread failing. YOur second one looks great! Did you like it?

Augustus said...

Digging the new look! Love the new logo, all looks great! Go cinemon girl!

Pamela said...

I'm so glad you didn't give up and tried again. It looks really good!

Mary said...

Your coconut loaf looks great! I loved this one, and will probably make another half recipe soon, as I couldn't stop eating it.