March 2, 2010

Feelin' Tiki

The smell of coconut always reminds me of summer. For many of you, especially those victims of Snowpocalypse, or whatever they are calling this new rash of winter storms, summer must feel a long way off. That's why for this week's Tuesdays With Dorie I chose Toasted Coconut Custard Tart. Sweet tart crust filled satiny pastry cream studded with toasted coconut and topped with a rummy whipped cream, it's a heck of a lot more tangible reminder of summer than bathing suits showing up at Target- and a lot less stressful.

Of course reminding you that bathing suit season is coming may be counter productive here. Heck, you got a few more months to worry about that right?
Umm, yeah so anyway this tart rocks! I used low fat milk and Malibu instead of dark rum but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter.

I highly recommend trying this fabulous Toasted Coconut Custard Tart for yourself. Crank up the heat, maybe a little Jimmy Buffet, and get into a tiki state of mind. Here's the recipe...grass skirt not included.

Toasted Coconut Custard Tart
adapted from Baking From My Home To Yours
For the Custard
2 cups 1% milk
1/2 cup sugar
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
pinch or coriander
1 tbsp Malibu rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut, toasted

1 9-inch sweet tart shell, baked and cooled

For the topping
1 cup cold heavy cream
3 tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp Malibu rum
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Bring milk to a boil. In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, yolks, cornstarch, salt and coriander until well blended. Whisk in 1/4 cup of hot milk to temper the yolks, then whisk in the rest of the milk. Continue whisking over medium heat and bring to a boil. Whisk an additional 1 or 2 minutes then remove from heat. Whisk in rum and vanilla and let sit for 5 minutes. Then whisk in the butter, stirring until custard is smooth. Stir in the toasted coconut. Transfer to a container, cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
To make the topping, use a stand mixture with whisk attachment or a hand mixer to whip the cream to medium peaks. Add the powdered sugar and beat to firm peaks. Whip in rum and vanilla.
To assemble the tart, whisk the custard vigorously to loosen it then scrape into the crust. Spoon the whipped cream over the tart and spread evenly to the edge of the custard. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.

49 comments:

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for choosing this absolutely fabulous recipe! I really, really liked this tart. I love the whole tropical feeling of baking with and eating coconut. Yours looks wonderful!

Flourchild said...

Thank you for the wonderful sweet treat this week! We have really enjoyed eating the tart all day!
Your tart looks amazing.I love the toasted coconut on top..perfect!

Mary Ann said...

Great choice! I gave this to a coconut lover and it was so appreciated.
Your tart is beautiful!

Amanda said...

Thanks for hosting this week! Yours looks incredible! :) We enjoyed it here. Going upstairs to get a piece now :)

Katrina said...

Your tart looks fabulous! I almost didn't make this one, but I'm glad I did. I just think you can't go wrong with coconut!

miss kate said...

ooooOOoooo! Yours is so cheery and pretty. Thanks for picking this recipe! I love it.

Paula said...

I'm impressed! Hard to resist eating the whole thing.

Dorie said...

Such an adorable post and such a beautiful tart. I'm glad you loved it and really think you made the perfect pick for the season.

Mary said...

Your tart looks fantastic! I'm sorry I had to miss this one--still away on a business trip. Home Saturday after a month, so baking on Sunday! This may be first in line:)

chocolatechic said...

Fabulous pick.

Just fabulous.

Heather said...

This was my first TWD and I really enjoyed making the tart. Thanks for picking it. Again never would have thought to make it myself but it completely wowed everyone who had some.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

so good, so good! thanks for this pick, bathing suit-schmathing suit!

spike. said...

loved making this! Thanks for picking it

Pamela said...

Stunning! And what a fantastic pick. I didn't get to make this yet, but I am planning on getting it done soon, hopefully this week. We could use a little taste of summer time around here! The Malibu is definitely what I will be using, too.

Susan said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love coconut and seldom make anything with it because it's not a favorite of the hubby's. But, since it was "for the group", :)! Yours looks perfect!!

vibi said...

Thank you Beryl for picking this recipe for us this week! It was a lot of fun in the making, easy to play around with and delicious.

Yours matches perfection... bravo!

stacey said...

I am so excited to eat some of this tonight after dinner. It's just waiting to be assembled! It is always fun to make a dessert that has so many parts to it. Yours looks so fantastic! great choice! :)

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Yum! What a fun pick for this week and the yuck weather we are having. I am trying to pawn mine off at work but the blue whipped cream might be making people shy away a bit. :)

Christina and Jacob said...

Great choice! So fun, so fragrant, I can't wait to eat it. And you're right, it's summer in a tart!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your tart looks perfectly beautiful! Thanks for this weeks pick!

Anonymous said...

What a great pick for this week. The custard was phenomenal (runny for me) but still great! Your tart is beautiful - and sounds like you had a lot of fun making it!

mike
TWD blog:
web.me.com/mikejdunlap

Teanna DiMicco said...

Thank you for this awesome, awesome pick! I loved it!

Bridget said...

I was glad to see a coconut dessert chosen! I don't cook with it nearly enough. Your tart is beautiful.

Rachelle S said...

Happy TWD week! This tart is out of this world! I'm already thinking of when I can make it again, lol. Did you add the coriander to it? If so, how did the tart taste with it? I left that and the rum out, and thought it was great.

=)

Valerie Gamine said...

You made a wise decision with this dessert. It was the perfect way to help get through these last few weeks of Winter. Thanks! :D

Amber Marie said...

This is such a great pick! I love coconut and you're right about it being a bit of summer. It snowed here again today so we need it!

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

This was a lovely tart even if I veered off track a bit because I didn't have any dark rum. Allspice was a perfect sub. Your tart makes me want more!

Carla said...

Haha you mentioned Target (I work there) :P Thanks for picking this deliciously amazing tart! Does using low-fat milk still make a thick custard? I know the fat content messes with things sometimes. Wonder if coconut milk would work?

Jules Someone said...

Can't stand coconut myself, but this one seems to be a hit. Gorgeous photos!

AmyRuth said...

I can't thank you enough for putting us in the Tiki state of mind, and yes for reminding me about swimsuit season. you just took all the fun .... that's why I shared the whole tart with my neighbor. Funny thing, she asked why I wasn't eating it. I replied "Because I want to wear a swimsuit during Spring Break in Mexico." She smiled. Wasn't that so nice?
I absolutely love the aroma of warm coconut custard. So yummy!!! Thanks again. No worries I tasted too!
AmyRuth

Mimi said...

Thank you for hosting this week. My coconut lovers really loved this treat. Your tart looks wonderful.
Mimi

Jencrafted said...

Perfect, perfect, perfect! Thanks for the pick! Your tart looks wonderful.
I'm soooo ready for summer!

John Williams said...

Great pick!

The Food Librarian said...

Your tart looks great! I'm so sorry but my tart is delayed a bit. But I want to make it as my co-workers love coconut!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks for being our host this week. I loved this tart - and yours looks fab with the coconut on top.

Rhiani said...

Thanks for hosting this week - great choice of recipe! Yours looks fantastic.

CB said...

I am TOTALLY feeling a tiki state of mind after that coconut tart. Thanks for hosting this week!

margot said...

Your tart looks terrific! I enjoyed making this one; now if only a tropical vacation came with it.

Kathleen said...

On My Goodness! This sounds amazing! This is my first visit to your blog and I think its fabulous!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Lovely pick. It was greatly enjoyed here!

Jelli said...

This looks perfect for any parrothead concert! Thanks for sharing. I think you should post a link for Dorie's sweet tart crust dough if you aren't listing it.

Marthe said...

Thanks for picking this amazing recipe! I absolutely loved this tart!!

Carlos said...

Mmmmm looks delectable! I'm in Australia and summer has just finished so I can indulge in as much sin as i like :)

Mary said...

You rocked. I loved this and I never would have picked it on my own. Thanks so much for introducing me to a new favorite.

Judy said...

Terrific choice! The only problem was that it disappeared too quickly.

Anonymous said...

Your tart looks just beautiful! Malibu sounds like a great choice for the rum. I'm sorry that I didn't get this one done - I know I would have liked it.

Liz said...

My husband wants to pass on a special thank you for this pick, because he looooved it. Yours looks awesome!

Kayte said...

Thanks so much for your recipe choice this week, it was a big hit here, even though mine does not look anywhere near as lovely as yours, it tasted wonderful!

Linda said...

I'm totally late to the party (and totally late w. my post)! This was a fantastic recipe - my hubs is a total coconut fanatic, and he was blown away by the deliciousness of this tart. A great pick - thank you!