August 15, 2009

Kitchen Cousins

Meet Kaitlin. Budding chef, gymnast, all around great girl, and my cousin. At thirteen she has already mastered chocolate souffle- I don't think I even knew what a souffle was at her age. An avid food blog reader and food network watcher, Kaitlin is getting a great head start on knowing her way around the kitchen.

Today the student became the teacher when I packed up all my kitchen gadgets and headed over to her grandma's house for a day of baking. On the menu:
Red Velvet Mini Layer Cake and Cupcakes Lemon Tart Rugelach Croissant

Quite a line-up but after 16 weeks of baking class, infinitely doable. I got a head start on the croissant dough and did all four turns of the dough the day before. We made plain and chocolate and came out beautifully.


Kaitlin had checked out my blog and made special requests for the Red Velvet and Rugelach recipes.


I also wanted to teach her a great sweet tart dough and with fresh meyer lemons from the backyard, we tried our hand at Dorie's Most Extraordinary French Lemon Cream Tart. Here Kaitlin exhibits her natural knack for presentation.

After a full day of baking we took advantage of the beautiful afternoon light taking photos for Kaitlin's new blog, Starting From Scratch.


I 'm so proud of my cousin and can't wait to see what she does next. I'm pretty sure she'll be teaching me a thing our two real soon.

3 comments:

Kaitlin Rahon said...

Awwww! Thank you so much! Your words were beautiful and so heartfelt! So glad we did it and need to do it again some other time too! Love you!

Anonymous said...

How cool! I'll check out your cousin's blog.

Ellen said...

Wish your blog had a "Like!" button the way Facebook does--that's really all I had to say! Kaitlyn's a doll, and you're a great cousin.