February 12, 2009

Well There's A Rose...

The really is no such thing as 9 to 5 anymore. Especially in the film business, the work has a tendency to expand to fill the time allowed...and then some. More often than not, the bulk of the week is spent not with family and friends but with co-workers. So in the spirit of Valentines Day, I'm sending my husband to work tomorrow bearing Red Velvet Cupcakes.

"If you can't be with the one you love honey, love the one you're with."


I'd never made Red Velvet before and after much research decided to try this recipe from Pinch My Salt, with a few substitutions.

I had gel food coloring on hand, not liquid, so instead of making a paste I sifted the cocoa powder in with the other dry ingredients. Then I mixed the gel food coloring into the wet ingredients before adding the dry. No buttermilk either so I substituted regular milk mixed with a teaspoon of vinegar. Instead of cream cheese I went with a basic vanilla buttercream.

I love the texture of the these cupcakes, very airy and light. And the taste just makes my heart go pitter-pat.

0 comments: