July 14, 2009

TWD- Rise And Shine

It's hot here people. Real hot. Not that I'm complaining mind you, I love summer and am so glad it's finally reached the So Cal beaches, but the high temperatures does make it tough to turn on the oven. Lucky for me I'm an early riser and an early morning baker so this weeks Tuesdays With Dorie, Brioche Plum Tarts fit very nicely into that time frame.
I had prepped the broiche dough the night before. I used to be intimidated by brioche until we made it in class and Dorie's recipe was a breeze- why oh why did I wait so long to use the dough hook on my KA? I halved the recipe and after the 2 hour "smackdown" phase (any aggressions to get out? make brioche!) pressed each half of the dough into 4 inch tart pans, covered them with plastic wrap and left them in the fridge overnight. Saturday morning was another scorcher but I was up 630am letting the tarts rest on the counter for 30 minutes while I chopped up slivered almonds and gorgeous pluots from the farmers market. A generous slathering of pluot jam, fanning out a pluot half on each tart, a sprinkling with almond/sugar mixture and into the oven they went- all without breaking a sweat. Even in the heat of summer, these Pluot Tartlets are worth waking up for.
Rise and shine.

5 comments:

Hindy said...

It's three hours earlier on your coast. I think I could still make it for breakfast.
Lovely tarts!

Anonymous said...

It is HOT. A lot hotter where I am (inland) than you, but you know what's weird. The smog isn't bad this year. I don't know where it went. Maybe less people are driving b/c of the economy.

Anyway, your tarts look perfect. Gorgeous!

(I don't remember if I told you, but Mae was the instructor for knife skills)

Marta said...

It's hard to turn that oven on when it's hot! I usually do my baking really early in the morning, to avoid the heat rush :)
Great tart, they look cute, i love the smaller portions!
That brioche dough is just out of this world!

Jacque said...

Wow, up at 6:30 to bake... that's impressive.

Your tarts are adorable! They look so perfect too, like they belong in a magazine.

kar said...

Your tarts look delicious! Thanks so much for taking the time to visit and say hello!

Kar

PS- I have a few things to choose from for post #2. I can't decide...