August 17, 2010

High Tech Meets Low Maintenance


My generation is probably the last one that will remember the days without internet and cell phones- hey kids, we used to go through life...disconnected.  It was possible to go to the store, exercise, and have a thought or feeling without then immediately sharing it electronically with the rest of the planet!  And while it's been 15 years since my first glove compartment sized cell phone I'd resisted the smart phone craze until last week.  The film industry never meet a gadget it didn't like and now it's virtually impossible to meet the demands of the shows I work on without an iphone.  Standing in the middle of the desert without wifi or a production trailer (it broke down on the freeway) is no excuse for not responding to emails and frankly, after 5 days on the job I'm completely hooked on my shiny new toy.  My old flip phone could barely make calls and now and I'm texting, sending emails, checking traffic and making dinner reservations all at the same time.  I'm hooked!
I'm not so tech-ied out to appreciate the simple things like this week's TWD, Oatmeal Breakfast Bread.  Nothing more complicated than a few bowls and a spatula, this delicious morning treat works with whatever ingredients you have on hand.  I love the combination almonds, dried cranberries, and orange zest and made a few muffins with the leftover batter so I could eat them right away.  I guess my iphone has gotten me a little used to instant gratification these days. 
And speaking of which, I can't wait to unveil my new web site.  A sleeker, more modern Cinemon Girl will be coming your way very soon.  Cinemon Girl 2.0!

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Glad you liked the bread! It's nice to go low-tech every once in a while. Thanks for baking with me!

Jennifer said...

It IS nice to disconnect every once in a while! Your bread looks awesome!

Shandy said...

My husband would be laughing because we were just talking about those "remember whens" and how large cell phones used to be. Glad you loved the breakfast bread and cute muffin.

Tia said...

you're right, it would be a great catch all recipe - any dried fruit would be excllent in this!

spike. said...

I loved not needing a mixer for this recipe- something so satisfying about mixing by hand

Anonymous said...

Simplicity is the way to go at times...and yes I admittedly am too lazy to bust out the big mixer so this'll work. It's awful now connected I need to be all the time. I'm a compulsive iPhone checker...expect vacation. That's when I can just let go thankfully.

Beth said...

I'm notoriously low-tech, but I'm definitely being tempted by a smart phone too. Your muffins look great!

El said...

The recipe looks wonderful. I could go for some right now. I hope you have a wonderful New Year! Enjoy!