November 17, 2009

Preferential Treatment

Freelancing on tv shows has it's pluses and minuses. Higher day rate, plus. Never knowing when you are going to work again (or get paid again), minus. Avoiding the drama that comes from knowing everything about everyone- huge plus. People not knowing you well enough to trust your judgement, minus. Having the time to bake and then bring cookies to work, thereby generating happiness goodwill in current/prospective co-workers and employers while allwoing me to pawn off baked goods on others so I don't have to eat them...ginormous plus!
Immediately after getting booked for a recent two day job, I received the following text:
What's for dessert?

Needless to say my first thought was, what is coming up for Tuesdays With Dorie? Sugar Topped Molasses Spiced Cookies fit the bill perfectly. Easy to make (can't stay up late baking when you have to get up at 6am and work for the next 15 hours) seasonal, and totally transportable, they were a big hit.

On my next day off I used the remaining dough and some leftover pumpkin buttercream to make Molasses Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.


Oh yes I did.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh fabulous! Love that idea ;) I loved those cookies made them last week. This week I did the cran-aple crisp, yum!

Unknown said...

Holy Toledo on the pumpkin buttercream! Fantastic idea--they look amazing! These cookies were such a hit.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, that sounds fabulous!

chocolatechic said...

Pumpkin buttercream.

Oh. my. word.

yum!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

oh yeah-- whoopie pies! things like this will make you the most sought-after freelancer out there!

Anonymous said...

Ooh...I like the whoopie pies. Great idea.

Pamela said...

Killer whoopie pies! Great idea. Thanks for baking the cookies with me!

Susan said...

Pumpkin buttercream?!?! Molasses whoopie pies!?!?! Can I come live with you? :)

HilaryDEI said...

Hello!

My name is Hilary and I’m writing to you on behalf of C&H®/Domino Sugar. Everyone knows the holiday season can be a busy time of year, and we’d like to give you a head start on your holiday baking and gift planning by offering you a sweet treat!

Each week a select group of food bloggers will receive a $20 gift card to use toward purchasing ingredients to make holiday goodies and gifts. All we ask is that you make something fabulous from our website (http://chsugar.com/giftideas/index.html), and within a week post about it on your blog. Also, make sure to mention that you received a $20 gift card from us, to help with the expenses, and include a link to C&H Sugar (http://chsugar.com/giftideas/index.html) in your post!

To help you out, I have a fun and inexpensive blog post idea for you--host a cookie swap! Invite your friends, swap cookies, take pictures, and tell us what you did to make it special. Short on time? Swap homemade cookie dough instead!

If you’re interested in participating, send me an e-mail with your full name and mailing address and I’ll be sure to get the gift card to you as soon as possible. I can’t wait to read your post to see how you spent your gift card and what delectable creations you’ve made!

Thanks!

Hilary
hilary.ratner@deiworldwide.com