January 29, 2009

Carmelized Banana and Mascarpone Cream Tuiles


After being crippled with fear over last month's Yule Log, I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I saw January's Daring Bakers Challenge- sweet or savory tuiles. Then I promptly forgot about them...until this morning. A quick kitchen inventory yielded enough ingredients for one batch of tuiles and, well, not much else. There were some bananas on their way out, leftover toasted coconut, and an unopened container of mascarpone. With this bounty I give you Tuiles with Caramelized Banana and Mascarpone Cream.

The basic tuile recipe came together very easily. The hearts were made with a stencil cut from a cracker box and the basket were formed wit the back of a tablespoon. I mixed cocoa powder in with a bit of the batter and piped the lines with a zip lock bag. Very high tech, no?

For the filling I whipped together mascarpone, powdered sugar, creme de cacao and a bit of heavy cream which I then piped into each tuile. Bananas caramelized with a bit of butter, brown sugar and more creme de cacao. My fridge isn't well stocked but the bar? Well, we all have our priorities.

This month's challenge was brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man. You can't go wrong with mascarpone. And then you add carmelized bananas. YOur tuiles look great too.

Jacque said...

Wow, you came through like a champ! Those hearts are adorable :)

Shari said...

I love anything with bananas. They look wonderful!