November 27, 2008

Twofer Tartlettes

My love affair with pumpkin pie goes way back. It was the first pie I had ever made, and was often the one contribution I felt confident making to our holiday feast. The recipe on the back of the Libby's can has never let me down so you can imagine I was more than a little skeptical of this weeks' TWD, Thanksgiving Twofer Pie. A double layer pie with silky pumpkin filling on the bottom and a sticky sweet pecan topping, how would this measure up to the original?
After reading this great article on pie crust, I decided to try an all butter version for the crust. I made the dough with a pastry blender rather than a food processor and it came together easily. I refrigerated overnight, then rolled it out thinly and pressed it into four tartlette shells which I partially baked. The consistency of the crust was very light and flaky, almost like puff pastry. I layered the two fillings and baked them off for about 35 minutes and I must say I was pleasantly surprised with how they came out. That being said, I did feel the pecan layer really overpowered the pumpkin. Good thing I thought ahead and picked up a can of the old faithful, Libby's Pumpkin so I could make a back-up pie. Change can be good but sometimes you just gotta go with what you know.

2 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Libby's is definitely a tried-and-true standby, isn't it? Your twofer looks awesome though, even if it didn't wow you.

vibi said...

Thank you so much Beryl (OH! How I love that name!) for participating with me this week.
I'm glad you still enjoyed the pie... and very well understand it can sometimes be simply too hard to part with old friends! LOL
A very happy Thanksgiving to you!