September 27, 2008

That's What Ritz Are For

When I told my mom that I was spending a beautiful Saturday afternoon kneading (and kneading and kneading) dough to make homemade crackers, she good naturedly reminded me that they do still sell crackers in the grocery store- love you Mom! I was a little skeptical myself when I saw this month's Daring Bakers challenge was Lavash crackers- I mean all that work when Aisle 7 at Von's teeming with cracker variety? But, that's just the kind of thinking that kept me out of the kitchen for so long and now I'm finding how fun and rewarding it is to make even basic staples, like crackers, yourself. In actuality, this challenge was really simple and so much fun! I opted for the non-gluten free recipe and used whole wheat flour. For the toppings I used kosher salt, dried thyme, and paprika- I also kneaded some of the thyme into the dough.

I was a little conservative when it came to rolling out this dough, the end result was more toasted pita than crispy cracker, but still totally delicious. Next time I will try rolling it out much thinner and baking it on my pizza stone. For the spread, I made a vegan version of Smitten Kitchen's White Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Dip.


It was delicious with the lavash and I love the gorgeous orange/red color! Ritz aside, I loved this challenge and will definitely be making homemade lavash more often. See ya Aisle 7!


White Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Dip
**Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
1 15oz can white beans
1 cup roasted red pepper, drained
2 cloves of garlic
Juice from one small lemon
Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper

Process everything in a food processor or blender until desired consistency.

** I omitted the 3 oz cream cheese from the original recipe to make this dip vegan.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Your crackers look so pretty! Next time I will roll mine out thinner too. The dip looks delicious!

Mari said...

Your dip is the most gorgeous color, and your lavash looks lovely too!

Lauren said...

Ooo, your lavash looks awesome! Great job!

Francijn said...

That's why we do it - because it is so rewarding and challenging. And they do sell cakes in the shops too - and still we bake them :-)
And for your next time: rolling it out thinner works well in a pasta machine.

TeaLady said...

These look really really good. Love the dip, too. Great job.