April 7, 2009

Southern Comfort

West Palm Beach Florida isn't exactly the south, what with the massive amounts of transplanted New Yorkers living there- my family included. Since we left Long Island when I was 6 months old, I consider myself a Floridian and identify with being a southern girl, if just a little on the Jimmy Buffet side. Now that I live in California I sometimes need to listen to the Margaritaville station on satellite radio so I can feel a little closer to my roots. And sometimes I bake pie.
Banana Cream Pie is this week's Tuesdays With Dorie and the perfect remedy for Southern Withdrawal (drawl?). I made tarlettes and gave them a sprinkling of toasted coconut for that added Florida/tiki vibe.


They are so good, you might just blow out a flip flop.

10 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I love that you put it in a tart.

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Oooh, it looks delicious!! Thanks for baking with me this week!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Heather said...

Ooohhh, toasted coconut. Great addition!

Kara said...

Oh I love the tart instead of the pie. I need to dig out my tart pan!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Screw the lost shaker of salt. I'd rather have toasted coconut any day.

TeaLady said...

That looks as good as Buffet sounds. Great job! Yummeeeee!!!

Pamela said...

Cute post! The toasted coconut on top of your little tart was a great idea. It looks fabulous!

Jacque said...

Oooh, yes, perfect for a little taste of the south. Your little tart looks delish!

I really grew to appreciate Jimmy Buffet when I lived in Texas.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Your tarts look beautiful, especially with that toasted coconut on top to finish it off.

Annette said...

It looks delicious! I bet it's good with the addition of toasted coconut. And even better with a margarita!