July 20, 2008

Do You Cous Cous?

Ok so I've gotten a little behind on my blogging. My grand plan to post three times a week regardless of my work schedule...FAIL! I hate it when real life gets in the way of my fantasy life. So to catch up, here's what I made last week:

In an effort to spend more time in the kitchen and less in my car driving to Trader Joe's, last Sunday I whipped up a couple of easy lunch salads. This summer-ized cous cous with fresh lemon juice, toasted almonds, and dried cranberries.


Tuna and fennel salad with cute little persian cucumbers and fresh parsley from my garden.


And my first attempt at cedar plank salmon glazed with brown sugar and thyme.



The "lookin's not cookin'" mentality was a too strictly enforced (by me), and the fish came out a little dry. Maybe next time we'll adapt a new rule, "lookin's not cookin', but peekin' is quality control."

Summer Style Couscous
adapted from Giada De Laurentis' Mediterranean Salad
1 bag Trader Joes Harvest Grains Blend
3 tbsp plus 1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups vegetable stock
2 lemons juiced
1 lemon zested
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Saute garlic in 3 tbsp of olive oil for 1 minute, Add couscous and brown lightly, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and juice of 1 lemon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until couscous it tender, stirring occasionally. In a large bowl, toss cooked couscous with remaining lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest and salt and pepper to taste. Once cooled to room temperature, toss with fresh herbs, almonds and cranberries.

Tuna Salad with Fennel and Cucumber
from Food & Wine
1 small shallot finely chopped
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp chopped parsley (or fresh herb of your choice)
1 small fennel bulb, cored and diced
2 persian cucumbers, peeled and diced
2 6oz cans olive oil-packed tuna, drained
salt & pepper to taste

In a bowl, whisk shallot, vinegar, oil, sugar and parsley. Add fennel and cucumber, toss and let stand for 5 minutes. Then add tuna and season with salt and pepper.

Cedar Plank Salmon Rub
from Real Simple
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine ingredients and spread over salmon just prior to grilling.

1 comments:

noskos said...

If I do my cedarplank salmon it takes about 16-18 minutes in my weber. Taking them off earlier will leave them a bit to pink for our taste.